As is with all mollusks, good handling practices are critical to ensure food safety. Just follow a few simple rules:
- When you purchase live calms, their shells should be tightly closed.
- Live clams need to breathe. Do not store them in plastic bags.
- Ideally, you should prepare live calms within 24 hours of purchase.
- Live calms should be refrigerated in an open container covered with a damp cloth or paper towel.
- Persons with shellfish allergies should not consume clams.
Labels: Handling and Preparation